Hodges Taylor Art Consultancy began as Hodges Taylor Gallery in 1980 through a partnership between Dot Hodges and Christie Taylor. The gallery, respected throughout the Southeast, started with a phone call. Christie Taylor had managed a Charlotte gallery and admired Dot Hodges as a patron in the community who avidly supported regional artists. Taylor called Hodges to pitch the idea of teaming up to promote selected Southeastern artists. Each brought a group of artists to the partnership and Hodges Taylor was born.
Hodges Taylor Gallery operated out of three prominent locations in Uptown Charlotte over a period of thirty years as a successful and respected contemporary art gallery and consulting firm. In 2011, Hodges Taylor moved to Dilworth Artisan Station in South End where Hodges Taylor became a consulting firm dedicated to continuing its mission to support Southeastern artists through placing artwork in public and private collections.
Today, Hodges Taylor Art Consultancy continues to be a reputable art consultancy firm specializing in placing artwork that aligns with a corporation’s vision and brand and enhances private collections. In 2016, Lauren Harkey joined Christie Taylor as a partner and Dot Hodges remains as advisor to the firm.
Working with a broad supporting network of professionals, Hodges Taylor provides a full range of services:
- Identification and selection of artwork appropriate for the space
- Procurement management including commissioned artwork
- Art collection documentation and cataloging
- Custom framing supervision ensuring museum quality and archival handling
- Installation planning, coordination and implementation
- Curatorial services including managing inventory, maintaining and rotating the collection, and mounting special exhibitions
- Art appraisals working with accredited, qualified appraisers to provide appropriate documentation to support insurance or fair market value estimates
- Presentations and discussions to increase awareness and knowledge of art in the corporate setting
Whether in the workplace or at home, art performs a critical function in our lives. It has the power to stimulate, challenge and encourage us to think in new ways.
For a business, art helps define and reinforce a company's image. The right selection of art complements an office’s' overall design and architecture, while humanizing the surroundings, from the boardroom to the break room. Art strengthens the bond among employees and leads to a more harmonious and inspiring environment.
Similarly, a home that contains original art − one important piece or a collection – is quickly transformed, as the presence of art reinforces its distinctive character and promotes harmony and balance.
Whether paintings, drawings, sculptures, photographs, or some combination of these, art reflects more than just pride in your home or business. It personalizes a space, adds visual appeal and makes a statement of how you feel about your environment.